16 Sept 2014

LIFE ONLINE



Since moving back to Cape Town, I really miss having a good selection of furniture on offer. Living in Germany made me take weekend trips to IKEA for granted. As long as slow-walking couples, dreaming of imagined futures, and toddlers with tantrums could be avoided, life was good. I now also miss my weekend trips to flea markets or buying cheap second-hand furniture online.

Goodness me. Lifestyle products are expensive in Cape Town. I long for the sleek, clean lines of a Swedish-inspired design and I promise I won't laugh that it's mass-produced and a mere facsimile, at a shop whose brand pushes a fictitious Swedish lifestyle. 

Most of all - I miss online shopping. It's best summarised by a conversation with my brother:


Me: "Does Amazon and Ebay exist in South Africa?"
He: "No."
Me; "Do you know online shops here where I can buy stuff for my apartment?"
He: "Mmmm. Nope."
Me; "You mean," I stuttered exasperated, "people still shop in shops?"

Well, you can guess his response.

In Europe, I bought everything online. I mean, I drew the line at buying a pack of paintbrushes because I just felt too bad for the DHL guys to waste their time with something so small. Shopping online is safe in Germany. Paypal is your best friend. So why is South Africa lagging behind so much? My business idea: get Amazon and Ebay with home delivery up in running here please.

No comments :

Post a Comment