14 Jun 2016

WHAT'S THE POINT OF TWITTER?


I’m really not funny enough for Twitter. My personal Twitter page mainly consists of retweets of the smart and humorous people I follow and a variety of political news stories. Most of the tweets I retweet are funny one liners.

Personally, I’m just not funny enough to write about it. I also don’t follow a niche audience like Ju Juitsu, Magic The Gathering or the Bernie Sanders campaign. I just like to stay informed about current protests at South African universities and the eviction of the Eko and Idomeni refugee camps in Greece.

I once wrote Lena Dunham a cute message (@lenadunham) and she never wrote back. That was the beginning of my disillusionment with my personal Twitter page.


But there seem to be some awesome developments in terms of how to market our company using Twitter. In November 2013, Twitter had more than 232 million active monthly users, 53 million of which were in the United States. It has traction especially if your company has American customers.

So how is it possible to utilise Twitter for marketing?

For starters, it’s a good idea to pick 50 industry leaders and follow them on Twitter, interacting with them daily. Twitter is not so much about selling as it is about appearing helpful. Look for ways of collaborating. Be that cool friend next door rather than the annoying salesman.

Then it’s also a good idea to interact with mentions and followers. Respond to questions and return some Twitter love by retweeting and sharing fresh content.

Search for relevant keywords. I work in the tourism industry so every morning I check for ‘tourism in Zimbabwe” or “flights Madagascar”, for example, to stay on top of new developments for the marketing team to have handy information for our agents, or for social media content, as well as, of course, informing our company’s followers.

That’s a good start. Get a niche market and interact with your favourite people. 

No comments :

Post a Comment