19 Dec 2013

LA DOLCE VITA


Traveling to Rome has always been a dream of mine. I studied art in high school and at university and wanted to see Michelangelo's Last Judgement and ceiling in the Sistine Chapel in real life.

My friends and I did the typically tourist thing: brought along a camera, wore sneakers and marched from one amazing ruin to the next amazing church. Rome is so full of beauty that your eyes can't take it all in after a few hours. I began thinking, 'Oh another old church...oh another pretty painting...". It's like the city is loaded with history like a budget airplane.

Michelangelo's fresco though was a moment of beauty...I stared at it, my neck aching, for quite some time. It was amazing to be so close to such genius. And for that brief moment I was in wonderland and forgot the stuffy feeling of it all.