29 Apr 2016

NON-VIOLENT COMMUNICATION BY MARSHALL ROSENBERG

Non-violent communication, also referred to as compassionate communication, which I think is a more fitting name, was developed by psychologist Marshall B. Rosenberg as a process that helps people talk and listen to each other in a more compassionate, smarter way.


Rosenberg's main idea is that people only resort to violent behaviour when their needs aren't being met or they are not capable to meet their needs.  





"NVC theory supposes all human behavior stems from attempts to meet universal human needs and that these needs are never in conflict." According to Rosenberg, every emotion is an expression of a met or unmet need. For example, when I am happy, this could be because my need for love is being met, or my need for safety and fulfillment is met. If I am feeling scared, it could be because my need for safety is being met. And on it goes.

This diagram describes it quite simply:




No comments :

Post a Comment